Monday, August 6, 2012

Building Stamina For The Greek Trails Day 1 (half day)


 Day 1

Today I went for a 3 mile walk on the country roads to help build up my stamina. I want to be able to breathe for the duration of any hike that we may go on while on the island of Crete. Some of the trails and gorges have Greek men on donkeys to assist you if you fail to complete the hike. It's real important that I get myself breathing strong before this trip. No way will I be photographed out of breath, slumped over a donkey!

 I've got my carry-on bag pretty much packed. We'll be gone for eight days and this what I have fit into a tiny suitcase:

1 long cotton white skirt
1 short cotton white skirt
1 short length ivory stretch lace sundress 
1 maxi sundress w/matching stretch cami 
2 hiking cargo shorts
1 walking flat front shorts
1 pr running shorts
6 tees in various colors to wear with skirts and shorts
2 bathing suits
1 dark grey capri pants
1 grey Greek style summer top
1 hooded sweatshirt
1 pair plain flat black thong sandals1 night tee
1 2 pc. summer pj set
1 2 person beach mat
1 beach towel
lingerie for 8 days

I got all that in my carry-on. Now I'm working on my personal bag. I plan to wear my sneakers and a pair of jeans to save space in my carry-on. 

The rest of my travel gear will go into my personal bag. I'm so ready for this trip. Can't wait till travel day.  

Noon: Crete -Arrive in Iraklion (can't wait till we land on the island of Crete).




12:30 p.m. Apartment -The apartments where we will be staying.





12:35 p.m. Apartment -Climb the stairs to our apartment.




 12:40 p.m. Apartment -Arrive in room, it will take me five minutes to get up the stairs because the view behind me as I climb will be so distracting. This is what our living room in the apartment should look like...we'll see. We will take about 20 minutes to get settled.




 1:00 p.m. Apartment -Even though we'll be jet lagged and we'll want to nap, we won't. Because, we've got places to see. Let's go!








Day One on the island will be a half day with us arriving on Crete around noon. We plan to get ourselves situated in our apartment and then go explore where the base (air station) used to be. Then we'll head to Chersonisos to walk the beach and have dinner. We'll venture out just enough to see this:


1:30 p.m. Iraklion Air Station. It doesn't exist anymore. We hope to get photos of what it looks like now. 





 2:00 p.m. Kokkini Hani -Drive by old apartments that we used to live in 25 or so years ago.




1985, The living room of the second apartment we lived in. We sold everything before coming to the states. The only thing in that picture that I still have is the ballerina and the Greek-made doily that she is sitting upon. Oh, and I still have that round mirror. Scotty and Penny Watkins bought it for us for a wedding gift.







 2:30 p.m. Gouves -Zorbas Taverna for lunch. Located on the sea front of Gouves.





 5:00 p.m. Old Chersonissis -Beach.






7:30 p.m. Old Chersonissis -Dinner at Georgio's Place. By the Village Square, Old (Pano) Hersonissos, 70014 Chersonisos Facebook: Georgios (George's) Place Taverna in Old (Ano) Hersonissos, Crete, Greece


9:00 p.m. Relax at apartment visit with locals.








No comments:

Post a Comment